Alerts

UAE Freezes Trade with Iran

Two missiles were enough to shift the confrontation from the sea to ports, banks, and import networks. Inside Iran, the debate is intensifying over whether Hormuz is leverage for reaching an agreement or a trap that is isolating the country.
Illustration showing rocket attack in the Strait of Hormuz
(AI-generated image)

Table of Contents

Summary

The UAE-Iran confrontation has expanded from maritime and military tensions into economic pressure, threatening one of Iran’s most important trade and financial gateways. Even partial disruption could increase import costs, weaken the rial, and intensify inflation, placing additional pressure on Iranian households and government subsidies. Tehran is simultaneously trying to preserve Gulf relations, sustain military leverage, and prevent domestic economic hardship from undermining political stability. With diplomacy stalled and the nuclear issue temporarily overshadowed, the Hormuz crisis increasingly encompasses regional trade, navigation, economic security, and relations with the United States.

Key Takeaways

  • The UAE’s suspension of trade and financial transactions with Iran could impose significant economic costs, particularly because Dubai is a major hub for Iranian imports, payments, and re-export trade.
  • Responsibility for the reported missile launches remains unverified, but uncertainty alone can disrupt banking, shipping, currency markets, and supply chains before definitive evidence emerges.
  • Iran faces a broader strategic challenge: pressure over Hormuz risks transforming neighboring Gulf states from cautious mediators into participants in an economic and political front against Tehran.

The Missiles Remain Disputed, but the Crisis Is No Longer Theoretical

The UAE Defense Ministry said its defense systems had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran. According to the statement, the missiles were aimed at maritime traffic, with one falling outside UAE territorial waters and the other within them.

An official statement establishes that this is Abu Dhabi’s position. By itself, it does not prove where the missiles were launched from. The publicly available material reviewed so far does not include a complete radar trajectory, debris that could identify the weapons system, or an independent investigation.

Tehran rejected the allegation. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the accusation was damaging to good-neighborly relations and warned of the possibility of deliberate deception. The Iranian denial, too, is an official position, not technical evidence that Iran was not responsible.

The factual dispute therefore remains unresolved. States, however, do not need to wait for a mutually accepted investigation before making decisions. Abu Dhabi treated the incident as a security threat and chose to respond by deploying its economic power.

The United Arab Emirates announced the suspension of commercial activity, trade in goods, and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. The decision came after the Defense Ministry in Abu Dhabi said that two ballistic missiles launched from Iran had been detected heading toward Emirati territory. According to the UAE account, one missile fell outside its territorial waters and the other within them. No impact on land was reported.

Iran denies responsibility. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei described the allegation as unfounded and raised the possibility of a false flag operation, meaning an action intended to implicate another party. As of the morning of August 19, no complete radar data, analysis of missile debris, or external investigation has been published that would make it possible to determine which account is correct.

For Iran, this is an especially dangerous development. The use of the Strait of Hormuz as leverage was intended to raise the cost of the confrontation for the United States and the wider world. It is now becoming clear that the Gulf states also have the ability to shift part of that cost back onto the Iranian economy.

Abu Dhabi Shifts the Confrontation from Missiles to Banks

The UAE announcement is broadly worded: commercial activity, trade in goods, and financial transactions with Iran are to be suspended until further notice. If implemented as written, the measure would go far beyond a freeze in diplomatic relations.

It is not yet clear how the decision will be enforced. No lists of exempted products have been published, nor have instructions been issued regarding food and medicine or rules for handling transactions that have already been concluded. The status of companies with mixed ownership structures and shipments already at ports has also not been clarified.

It would therefore be premature to conclude that every container has been stopped or every payment channel closed. The announcement itself, however, has an immediate effect. Banks, shipping companies, insurers, and traders tend to avoid transactions when the rules are unclear. They may freeze activity even before the authorities publish detailed instructions.

This is one of the differences between an economic sanction and a military strike. A missile hits a defined point. A financial announcement influences thousands of decisions made by private actors, sometimes because they fear becoming entangled rather than because of a direct order.

The Most Significant Blow Could Come Through Dubai

The United Arab Emirates is not simply another trading partner for Iran. For years, Dubai has served as a hub for imports, re-export trade, payments, and financial intermediation for Iranian companies.

Re-export trade occurs when goods produced in one country are first imported into the UAE and then shipped onward to Iran. Statistically, they may be recorded as imports from the UAE even though they originated elsewhere. This system allows Iranian companies to consolidate shipments, find suppliers, make payments, and work around some sanctions-related restrictions.

Data attributed to Iran’s customs administration indicate that during the ten months between March 2025 and January 2026, imports from the UAE reached nearly $15 billion. In recent years, total trade between the two countries has amounted to tens of billions of dollars. The measurement periods and the distinction between total and non-oil trade must be taken into account, but the overall trend is clear: the UAE is one of the principal gateways through which goods enter the Iranian economy.

Closing this channel could complicate dirham payments, bridge financing, and shipments of raw materials, industrial equipment, and spare parts. Even goods that are not directly subject to sanctions could be delayed if banks and shipping companies refuse to handle the transactions.

The Iranian economy could try to redirect activity through Oman, Turkey, China, or other trading hubs. But such a shift requires time, credit arrangements, shipping companies, and established relationships of trust. It is also likely to be more expensive. Those additional costs would ultimately be passed on to producers and consumers.

Even a Partial Suspension Could Fuel Full-Scale Inflation

The economic impact does not necessarily depend on a complete halt to trade. It is enough for traders to expect imports to become more difficult or expensive for prices to be affected.

Importers must factor in delays, higher fees, more complicated payment routes, and the risk that cargo will not be released. Currency traders respond to anticipated demand for foreign exchange. The public, already contending with severe inflation, may seek to convert savings into dollars, gold, or durable goods.

This is how a political announcement can quickly translate into pressure on the rial and a wave of price increases. Even if the UAE later announces exemptions, some of the damage could occur before those clarifications arrive.

For the Iranian public, the question is not merely whether a formal embargo has been imposed, but how much the next shipment of food, medicine, or raw materials will cost. In an environment of high inflation, uncertainty feeds into prices almost as readily as an actual shortage.

The Foreign Ministry Tries to Prevent a Unified Gulf Front

Iran’s official language was forceful but cautious. Baghaei denied the allegation and warned of a provocation, but he also used the language of good-neighborly relations and regional trust. He did not announce a military response or economic countermeasures.

That caution reflects a clear Iranian interest. Tehran does not want to see the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait align as a single political and economic front alongside the United States. As long as the dispute is perceived as a confrontation between Iran and Washington, the Gulf states can try to mediate. If they come to view Iran as a direct threat, they could shift from mediators to active participants in the pressure campaign.

Media outlets associated with the conservative camp have already portrayed the Emirati move as part of the American economic and military campaign. This is an attempt to shift responsibility away from Iranian policy and toward an alleged hostile alliance between Abu Dhabi and Washington.

But the difference between the media rhetoric and the Foreign Ministry’s position is significant. Ideological media outlets can call for confrontation. Diplomats must take into account the ports, banks, and import networks that Iran could lose.

Ghalibaf Links the Military Front to the Food Basket

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf placed strengthening the armed forces and securing the subsidized food basket on the same list of urgent priorities. This basket, known in Iran as “Kalabarg”, is a mechanism that allows households to purchase basic goods using government credit or subsidies.

Citing Central Bank data, Ghalibaf said that rising prices for basic goods had affected the second income decile by 10.4 percentage points more than the highest decile. The figure was presented by Ghalibaf and has not been verified against the full dataset, but his use of it illustrates how the parliamentary leadership views the situation.

From its perspective, food security is no longer merely a welfare issue. It is part of wartime resilience. When families struggle to buy food, the damage does not remain confined to the economy. It affects public confidence, people’s willingness to bear the cost of confrontation, and the state’s ability to present its policies as successful.

Placing the military and the food basket side by side reveals the government’s real priorities. It must finance military preparedness while simultaneously preventing inflation from becoming a political crisis. The suspension of trade with the UAE makes both objectives more difficult.

Khatami Warns Against Turning War into a Method of Government

Mohammad Khatami, who served as Iran’s president from 1997 to 2005 and is regarded as a leading figure in the reformist camp, warned against governing the country on the basis of wartime emotions. He criticized those who see the continuation of the war as an objective in itself and called for consideration of the country’s interests and the possibility of preserving the Islamabad Memorandum.

His remarks are not a military assessment and do not necessarily reflect the position of decision-makers. Their significance lies in the debate they expose within the political system.

For the hawkish camp, control of Hormuz and the ability to disrupt shipping provide Iran with strategic leverage. They force the world to address Iran’s demands and demonstrate that the country is not powerless in the face of American military superiority.

Khatami points to the opposite risk. If the use of that leverage alienates neighboring countries, severs trade channels, and deepens the harm suffered by the public, war ceases to be a means of reaching an agreement. It becomes a self-perpetuating system that makes it more difficult for the leadership to retreat.

The central question in the dispute, therefore, is not whether Iran is capable of disrupting traffic through Hormuz, but what it achieves by doing so and what price it is prepared to pay.

The Memory of the 1953 Coup Is Enlisted in the Current Struggle

Iranian officials used the anniversary of the coup against Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh to frame the current crisis. Mosaddegh was overthrown on August 19, 1953, in an operation backed by the United States and Britain after he led the nationalization of Iran’s oil industry.

Kazem Gharibabadi, the deputy foreign minister, linked that historical intervention to the pressure now being exerted on Iran. According to him, the lesson is that the Iranian people do not retreat in the face of external coercion.

The historical message helps the regime portray the confrontation as part of a long struggle for sovereignty, rather than as the consequence of decisions made in recent months. It also allows the authorities to connect Iranian nationalism with the position of the Islamic Republic.

The historical comparison, however, does not resolve the immediate questions. It does not establish who launched the missiles, reopen trade channels in Dubai, or provide a mechanism for regulating shipping through the strait. Its function is political: to strengthen public willingness to withstand pressure and to portray any potential compromise as part of a historic struggle against coercion.

Washington Signals a Freeze in Contacts

The ISNA news agency reported, citing CNN, that President Donald Trump had instructed senior administration officials to cease contacts with Iran. The report relied in part on unidentified American sources, so it should not be regarded as a comprehensive official announcement that all channels have been severed.

It is, however, consistent with Trump’s public message that no further talks are currently scheduled. The United States is also continuing its naval blockade, while Iran says the only active contacts are with Oman and concern arrangements for traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

The possibility that messages continue to pass through intermediaries does not necessarily contradict the assertion that there are no negotiations. States can suspend formal talks while continuing to test proposals through a third party. As of the morning of August 19, however, there is no verified diplomatic track that has matured into an agreement.

An assessment by John Kirby, a former National Security Council spokesman under the Biden administration, has also received prominent coverage in Iranian media. Kirby argued that Trump has no clear exit strategy from the Hormuz crisis. He is not a member of the current administration, so his comments constitute outside analysis. The Iranian media’s decision to highlight them is intended to portray Washington, too, as trapped in a confrontation with no clear way to end it.

The Nuclear File Has Been Pushed Aside, but Not Resolved

No verified new development in Iran’s nuclear program was reported during the morning news cycle. There was no announcement of a change in enrichment levels, a resumption of International Atomic Energy Agency inspections, or a new framework for negotiations.

The absence of nuclear news does not mean the issue has been resolved. Rather, it indicates that the struggle over Hormuz, the blockade, and relations with the Gulf states has pushed the nuclear issue out of the immediate headlines.

This marks an important shift in the agenda. For years, the nuclear file was viewed as the focal point of the confrontation between Iran and the West. The dispute now also concerns freedom of navigation, the right to collect payments from vessels, the American role in the Gulf, and Iran’s ability to trade with its neighbors.

A nuclear agreement alone would not resolve all these disputes. Conversely, a maritime agreement that does not address the nuclear issue would remain vulnerable to renewed American pressure. The separation of the various files makes a comprehensive deal even harder to achieve.

The Bottom Line

The UAE’s decision changes the nature of the crisis. Until now, Iran has tried to use the Strait of Hormuz to shift part of the cost of the war onto the rest of the world. Abu Dhabi is now signaling that it can shift that cost back onto Iran through ports, payment systems, and trade.

Responsibility for launching the missiles has not been independently established. Economically, however, the question of who fired them is not the only one that matters. Banks and traders respond to risk, not only to a final judgment. The mere possibility that the crisis will escalate is enough to delay transactions, increase import costs, and boost demand for foreign currency.

For Tehran, the central challenge is to prevent the crisis with the UAE from turning into a unified regional front. To do so, it will need to present evidence supporting its denial, make progress with Oman on arrangements for shipping routes, and convince its neighbors that maintaining economic ties with Iran does not endanger them.

For the Iranian public, the test is simpler. The questions are whether food prices will rise, whether raw materials will remain available, and whether government subsidies will preserve purchasing power. In that sense, the battle over Hormuz is no longer being fought only between ships and missiles. It has reached Dubai, the exchange rate, and the Iranian family’s shopping basket.

FAQ
Has it been proven that Iran launched the missiles toward the UAE?
No. The UAE attributes the missiles to Iran and Tehran denies responsibility, but publicly available evidence such as complete radar trajectories, identifiable debris analysis, or an independent investigation has not established responsibility.
Why would a UAE trade suspension be particularly damaging to Iran?
The UAE, especially Dubai, is a major gateway for Iranian imports, re-exports, payments, financing, and commercial intermediation. Restrictions could therefore disrupt supply chains and financial channels even for goods that are not directly sanctioned.
How could the dispute affect ordinary Iranians?
Greater uncertainty and more expensive trade routes could weaken the rial and raise the costs of food, medicine, raw materials, and other imports. These effects could compound existing inflation and increase pressure on household purchasing power and government subsidy programs.

JCFA Iran-Syria Desk

Share this

Invest in JCFA

Subscribe to Daily Alert

The Daily Alert – Israel news digest appears every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

Related Items

Stay Informed, Always

Subscribe to Jerusalem Issue Briefs
Concise analytical papers focusing on Israeli security, diplomacy, and foreign policy.
The highly-acclaimed Daily Alert Israel news digest includes the most important and timely articles from around the world on Israel, the Middle East and U.S. policy.